Sunday, November 11, 2007

Who needs Second Life? Get a Real Life!!


This game was designed for social studies students but I am addicted and have to admit I've learned a lot about how friggin lucky I am in such a cruel and random world. In the game, just like in life, you are born according to probability - half of the time in China or India and 95% of the time poor. However, as you age you are given choices - how to spend your free time, whether or not to pursue romance, when to move out on your own, whether to immigrate legally or illegally, as well as lots of moral decisions (help a beggar, do a shady business deal, have an abortion, protest against the government, etc). It's quite complex and much better to play than to explain.



In my "first life" I was born a bi-sexual boy into a poor family in China, but studied hard and became an entertainment technician in Guangzhou. Saved up my money and immigrated to Overland Park, Kansas where I landed a sweet job as a lab technician. Retired in Scottsdale, but got bored and moved to Mexico where I had an affair with a hot construction worker 20 years my junior. I died at 80 from diabetes. My next life I was born a girl in northern Kenya - I died at 2 years old from malaria.

Recently I was born into a struggling working-class family in Slovenia but I noticed that compared to the rest of the world we were incredibly rich. After I got a job, we became upper-middle class and our economic level compared to the rest of the world was completely off the chart. Makes you truly appreciate your privilege and gives you the realization that life can turn out billions of different ways.

No comments: